TRAJECTS is a DAAD-funded project that seeks to create and/or strengthen research and teaching capacities on Just Transitions in Energy, Climate and Sustainability, especially in the Global South.
Within this framework, Master scholarships aim to strengthen the research capacity of our partners in the Global South and to increase the number of students contributing to research questions relevant for TRAJECTS as well as their individual interests and future careers.
Similarly, PhD scholarships aim to strengthen the research capacity of our partners in the Global South, and generate long-term local capacity to deal with academic and practical questions related to Transitions to Sustainability.
About Coal Transitions
Coal Transitions is an international research hub which aims to collect credible and feasible trajectories and policy guidance for deep transitions in the coal sector in major coal producing and consuming countries.
Aim and Benefits of Masters Scholarship
- Monthly allowance: Monthly stipend of 400.- Euro for maximum of 2 years (24 months), starting earliest on January 1st 2022, ending latest on December 31st 2023.
- Travel costs: Limited funds of in total 2.500.- EUR per cohort and year are available for Master candidates coming from third countries to support international travel between the home and the host country. Travel costs will be paid based on real costs up to a budget limit per eligible grantee to be calculated depending on the number of eligible grantees.
- Individual Material Expenditure Allowance for Research: Real costs up to the budget limit of 500,- EUR per Master grantee (for the whole funding period of 24 months).
Requirements for Masters Scholarship Qualification
- Last degree certificate must not be older than six years when applying for the scholarship
- Enrolment as Master student at UMS/ UCT/ UNAL
- Newly enrolled or 1st-semester student at the beginning of the funding period – funding granted initially for max 4 semesters and max. until the end of the 4th semester (subject to a semesterly check of academic achievement)
- Exceptional cases of funding of students in the 2nd or higher semester at the beginning of the funding period can be considered (subject to the decision of the scholarship committee)
- Exceptional cases of funding beyond the end of the 4th semester can be considered (subject to decision of the scholarship committee)
Interview date, Process and Venue for Masters Scholarship
After the final deadline of the call for applications, eligible candidates will be evaluated and ranked by the respective host institution. Special attention will be given to attain the diversity goals of TRAJECTS. At least 30% of short-listed candidates must contribute to increasing the diversity of TRAJECTS scholars (scholars who have scored points for the criterion “member of and underrepresented /disadvantaged group” and/or “financial need”).
Shortlisted candidates, will be invited to participate in a digital interview with members of the scholarship committee. The interviews will be conducted per host institution in the respective local language. Other eligible, but not short-listed candidates will be transferred to a reserve list. After the interviews, the scholarship committee will select 10 candidates for a TRAJECTS Master scholarship.
All applicants will be informed by email: Candidates will be nominated; ineligible applicants will be rejected and applicants on the reserve list will be informed about their status. If a candidate does not accept a scholarship, the next person on the reserve list will be nominated.
November 5, 2021
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to Coal Transitions on docs.google.com to apply
Use the link(s) below to apply on organisation website.
- Masters Scholarship – https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeYBY7uJoFqete7GIvgUg-uvwFy16DMdsH9ZUXBbbnQEn68Wg/viewform?usp=sf_link
- PhD Scholarship – https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd33GdjaEhR3xWTgodphgU_OiCWeq5aGGxUMLiDRkK8a1M8cw/viewform?usp=sf_link
For more details, visit Coal Transitions website.
- Master: 5th November 2021
- PhD: 30th November 2021
- PhD Scholarship scholarship by