The Leading Africa Scholarship is an initiative designed to ensure that outstanding young people from Africa are represented at the One Young World Summit 2022 in Tokyo.
Africa is host to the largest population of young people in the world, with over 60% of its population under the age of 25. With 72% of its labour force in “vulnerable” employment and several countries experiencing challenges of governance and violent extremism, the Fourth Industrial Revolution could provide a lifeline to this young, eager population. Given their sheer numbers, they have the ability to transform their regions, whether it be in governance, energy, infrastructure, medicine and beyond.
In the midst of these challenges and opportunities, it is young leaders who are devising meaningful strategies to build a more sustainable region. Are you one of those leaders? If so, One Young World is looking to bring you to the next annual Summit.
About One Young World
At the heart of every global threat is a failure of leadership. This new generation is the most informed, most educated, most connected generation in human history. One Young World identifies, promotes and connects the worldï¿½s most impactful young leaders to create a better world, with more responsible, more effective leadership. The annual One Young World Summit convenes the brightest young talent from every country and sector, working to accelerate social impact. Delegates from 190+ countries are counselled by influential political, business and humanitarian leaders.
Aim and Benefits of Leading Africa Scholarship
- Access to the One Young World Summit 2022 in Tokyo, Japan.
- Hotel accommodation between 15 and 19 May 2022.
- Catering which includes breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Transport between the Summit accommodation and the Summit venue.
- Summit handouts and support materials.
- The cost of travel to and from Tokyo. Your flight to and from Tokyo must depart from and return to one and the same international airport.
Please note that if you are ultimately selected for a Scholarship and require a visa to enter Japan to attend the One Young World Summit 2022, you will be required to pay the visa fee yourself. The visa costs 22 GBP plus the applicable service charge of your local visa application centre. The costs of the visa and the applicable service charge as well as any further costs associated with the visa application (including travel to and from the visa application centre) fall on you as the participant.
Requirements for Leading Africa Scholarship Qualification
You are eligible for sponsorship if you:
- Are between the ages of 18 – 30
- Have an evidenced commitment to delivering positive change
- Demonstrate capacity for leadership
- Are addressing key local and/or global issues in your work
- Have a track record of generating impactful and innovative ideas
Interview date, Process and Venue for Leading Africa Scholarship
The strongest applicants will be shortlisted by the end of January. You will be contacted individually by a member of the One Young World team if you have been shortlisted.
- We cannot guarantee any applicant that they will be shortlisted or that we will secure sponsorship for any shortlisted applicant.
- Priority will be given to applicants from countries that have been less represented at previous One Young World Summits.
- Priority will also be given to first-time Summit attendees (not OYW Ambassadors).
- Due to the overwhelming amount of applications we receive, One Young World is unable to respond to individual emails enquiring about the outcome of the Leading Africa selection process.
- We do not provide feedback as to why candidates are not selected.
December 1, 2021
How to Apply
For more details, visit One Young World website.