To provide international students with opportunities to conduct advanced studies in undergraduate & graduate programs at higher educational institutions in the Republic of Korea in order to promote international exchanges in education and mutual friendship between countries.
Available Options in Universities
Undergraduate course: 4-year courses at designated universities
※Transferring between universities is not allowed. (e.g. Starting studies at the junior year is not allowed.)
Graduate course: Master’s or Ph.D. courses at general graduate schools of Korean universities
Number of participants
220 undergraduate, 1,080 graduates students (subject to change with any change depending on budget)
Korea Language Training
Grantees are required to take Korean language training courses for 1 year at a language institution located on-campus of the domestic universities. (Those who have attained a Korean language fluency score higher than level 5 in TOPIK are exempt from this requirement.)
- AirfareActual cost
- Resettlement Allowance: KRW 200,000
- Living Allowance: 900,000 KRW ~ 1,000,000 KRW
- Medical Insurance: KRW 20,000 (per month)
- Language Courses: KRW 800,000 per quarter
- Tuition Fees: Actual cost (No more than 5 million KRW per semester)
- Award for Excellent Korean Language Proficiency: KRW100,000
- Research Support: KRW210,000 – 240,000 (per semester)
- Printing Costs (Dissertation): KRW 500,000 – 800,000
- Completion Grant: KRW 100,000 (Once)
※ KRW 100,000 ≈ $84 USD in Feb 2022
Both an applicant and his/her parents must be citizens of their country of origin.
※ Applicants should not hold Korean citizenship.
– Applicants should have adequate health, both mentally and physically, to stay in a foreign country for a long time.
– Should be under 25 years of age at the date of entrance. (Undergraduate)
– Should be under 40 years of age at the date of entrance. (Graduate)
– Have finished or be scheduled to finish formal education of all elementary, middle, high school courses by the date of arrival. (Undergraduate)
– Possess a grade point average (G.P.A.) above 80% from the last educational institution attended.
– Hold a Bachelor’s degree or a Master’s degree by the date of arrival. (Graduate)
※ Applicants who have previously acheived in any undergraduate program, master’s program, or doctoral program in Korea cannot apply for this program.
However, a Former or current KGSP scholar who hold the overall grade of 90% or above and have attained TOPIK level 5 or higher can reapply to this program once either through the embassy or university track.
Procedure for the Scholarship Award
NIIED invites the Korean Embassy in the invited country or a domestic university to recommend potential candidates.
Applicants should submit all documents related to their scholarship application to the Korean Embassy in their country of residence to or the domestic university concerned.
The Korean Embassy or the domestic university sends proper candidates to NIIED with the required documents.
NIIED evaluates potential candidates and notifies the Korean Embassy of the final selected KGSP grantees.
Global Korea Scholarship for Undergraduate Degrees(GKS-UIC) / 2022 Announcement:
The new program, called GKS-UIC(University Industry Cooperation), invites 100 talented international students who wish to pursue undergraduate degrees in Korean universities.
Global Korea Scholarship for Graduate Degrees 2022 Announcement:
In 2022, Korean Government’s Global Korea Scholarship program aims to invite international students who wish to purse a graduate level degree or research in Korea.
Korean government invites 648* international students.
– General: 603 scholars – Overseas Korean: 20 scholars
– Korean Language Teaching Professionals: 15 scholars
– Research Program: 10 scholars
To be selected as a GKS grantee, any applicant should successfully pass through the 1st selection process set by the Korean Embassy of his or her country of origin.
Korean government invites 730* international students.
– Research Program: 5 scholars – General: 425 scholars / Regional: 200 scholars
– R&D Program: 100 scholars
Please contact the first ground of selection organization (university) to get detailed information regarding the application submission such as application deadline, required documents, interview and etc. Application submission deadline may differ by each university that conducts the first round of selection.
More information can be found at https://www.studyinkorea.go.kr/en/sub/gks/allnew_invite.do
※ Important Notes
Applicants must check additional restriction or eligibility set by each university.
– Please check if there are any additional eligibility set by each university/department.
※ Please be mindful of any additional restriction set by each university/department.
If you do not meet this standard and fail to enrol in the university, your scholarship may be cancelled, and you must return to your country
on your own expense even though you have completed the Korean language program.
– Please check if there are any additional restriction (e.g., enrolment period) set by each university/department.
※ Scholars whose Korean language program is delayed (e.g., return after a leave of absence) must check if their degree program is only available to start at a certain period of time. For example, if a program starts in September only, scholars cannot resume their degree program in March.
Other scholarships that you may be interested:
Australia Awards, Fully funded scholarships for international students, Undergraduate, Master & PhD levels are open for application now: